Reviews of Movies, TV shows & metro Detroit Restaurants

Short movie & TV show reviews and metro Detroit restaurant reviews

Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Restaurant Review: The Union Woodshop (Clarkston, Michigan)


I finally got an opportunity to try The Union Woodshop in Clarkston, Michigan and it was spectacular! I don't plan on comparing The Woodshop to Slows (in Detroit) though as both are excellent restaurants & there really is no need to draw comparisons.

I got their relatively early, so I didn't have to worry about waiting to sit as there was a seat right at the bar. It was still pretty packed at 5:30pm though...

I enjoyed some pale ales (Founders Pale Ale & then Bell's Two Hearted) at the bar while waiting for my order which was a Woodshop 101. I replaced the ribs with brisket though because with the 101, you choose between pulled pork & the beef brisket. Since ribs are currently not easy for me to eat (I have braces), I was able to replace them with the brisket (for something like $2.50 more). So...here is MY version of the Woodshop 101: Quarter chicken (white meat), pulled pork, beef brisket, corn muffin & whipped sweet butter, Union mac & cheese (of COURSE...see my Clarkston Union review for further details!) and sweet potato mash with charred jalapeno & Michigan maple syrup.



I sampled 3 of their BBQ sauces...Memphis, TN, Lockhart, TX and Hell, MI. The sauce from Hell was actually pretty hot (go figure), while the other 2 were not quite as spicy. I wound up mixing all 3 together which proved to be a winning choice for me as this proved to be quite tasty!

Everything I had to eat tasted great, especially with my BBQ sauce concoction. I think the beef was my favorite of the 3 as it was very tender & cooked to perfection. And of course the mac & cheese was incredible as always and the sweet potato mash was good as well.

I also decided to indulge in dessert & again I was NOT disappointed. I tried the Maple Bourbon Sundae (MI maple syrup & Jim Beam sauce over house made liquid nitrogen ice cream with house smoked Spanish peanuts) since I had seen it featured on Diners, Drive-Inns & Dives (again, see my Clarkston Union review for more info). This is an excellent dessert and I almost finished it all in spite of the brain freeze it gave me!

The Union Woodshop is an excellent restaurant that I highly recommend!

You can find the Woodshop on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Union-Woodshop/101099743284728

No comments: